Mt. Olivet Baptist Church was established in 1868. Prior to its
autonomy, the congregation worshipped at Fork Baptist Church in Louisa
County. Services initially took place in a brush arbor and later a
log cabin was built. Several years later, two acres of land were purchased from
Vivian Fleming, a white landowner, and the first frame structure was erected.
Two more structures followed this one, including the current edifice completed in
June of 1981.
Mt. Olivet has been under the leadership of several pastors: Reverends Vaughan Young (1868); John
Kinney (1868); Clayton Berkley; John Hicks (1905-1920); R. J. Robertson
(1921-1963); Charles Simms (1965-1975); J. Madison Thomas, Jr. (1976-1982);
Evans C. White, Jr. (1985-1998); Rev. Dr. Wade Richmond
(January 2000-July 2008). From 1982 to 1985 numerous supply ministers preached
at Mt. Olivet, including Rev. Otis Mallory who served as pastor-elect for
several months. Rev. Dr. Edward McCreary, Jr. served as
interim minister from 1998 - 1999. Our current pastor, Rev. Alex Shelley was
installed the weekend of October 2, 2009.
Associate ministers include Reverends William Mallory (1982); Larry Holt, Sr.
Cleveland Mallory II; J. Leo Coles (1988); Sharon Roberts (1990);
Margaret Henry (1992); Evangelists Jessie Hooker (1994); Rhonda
Williams (1995); and Ruth Mallory (2005).